Reading stories out loud to children:
- Provides them with a model of fluent reading.
- Allows them to consume content above their reading level (since they can listen at a higher level than they can read).
- Shows them the connection between the written word and its meaning.
- Teaches them the narrative structure of a story or book.
- Helps develop a love of stories, books, and reading that can carry on into the rest of their lives.
Although there is no substitute for reading in person to a child, there are still many benefits from using technology to show videos of people reading stories. In addition to many of the perks mentioned above, videos of books can offer a few novel benefits as well (pun intended).
- Often include music or sound effects to help set the mood.
- Often include animations, zooming, and panning to bring the book to life and help follow or focus in on the action.
- Can provide a different take on the reading of the story with the narrator’s voices and inflections.
- Can be watched independently by the child.
- Can be sped up or slowed down, paused, and rewound as needed.
Link to article: http://www.controlaltachieve.com/2016/12/youtube-read-aloud.html?m=1