Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Modules 1A & 1B
1A: Reading and Responding to Narrative Texts
- What reading, writing, and thinking skills will I develop as a successful 9th grade English student?
- What are the structures and routines that will make this a safe learning classroom for students to take risks?
- How do I communicate and collaborate with my peers, showing respect for diverse perspectives?
- How will critically reading and insightfully responding to a wide variety of narrative texts help me understand the human experience?
1B: Writing Short Narratives
- What can I add to the understanding of the human experience?
- What narrative techniques have writers used to communicate the human experience?
- How can I collaborate with my peers during the writing process to improve my writing?
Books from our Libraries
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by
The Lady or the Tiger and Other Short Stories by
Long Day's Journey into Night by
The Stories of John Cheever by
The Umbrella Man and Other Stories by
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by
Sources for Narrative Texts
Once you find a great short article you can use http://www.joliprint.com/ to convert the web-based article into a pdf document (and get rid of the web junk on the left and right of the webpage.
Short reading passages with a moral to analyze.
A listing of stories by author with mention of the books that the stories were taken from. Includes a word count.
Generic Radio Workshop
171 vintage radio series scripts.
Great Poems to Teach
From the Academy of American Poets.
Modern English Collection
From the University of Virginia collection containing fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, letters, newspapers, manuscripts and illustrations from 1500 to the present.
Classic short story mysteries to read online.
A poem a day format.
The Raven (Poe)
Interactive study resource.
Reader's Theatre Edition
. A full range of reading levels is included, with scripts aimed mostly at ages 8–15. The scripts may be freely copied, shared, and performed for any noncommercial purpose, except they may not be posted online without permission.
Stories in a Nutshell
Folktales from around the world.
10 minute plays for children.
Includes 10-minute plays.