Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Glendale Snack Garden: Growing and Nutrition Education
- Use garden gloves when working with the soil or plants
- Always wear fully closed shoes, avoid flip flops and open-toed footwear
- Use a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses during peak daylight hours
- Wear sunscreen and insect repellant according to label instructions
Using Garden Tools
- Grab and use garden tools appropriately and only use the tools for what they are meant to do (pounding, digging, shoveling, moving etc)
- When tools are not used, place garden tools with the sharp edge toward the ground
- Return cleaned tools back to their proper place
Using Kitchen Tools
- Use kitchen tools under the direction of an adult
- Use kitchen tools appropriately and only use the tools for they are meant to do (slicing, chopping, cleaning etc)
- Clean and replace tools back to their proper place
Avoiding Insect Bites
Wash hands often
- Before and after planting
- Before and after harvesting
- Before and after preparing and eating
WALK in the garden. RUN in the playground!
Respect each other
- Use the garden as you would a classroom NOT as a playground
- Work together to achieve your garden goals.
- Take turns.
Respect the plants
- Eating and touching plants should be under the direction of an adult. Not all plants in the garden are safe for touching or eating.
- Plants can be very sensitive to human activity. Use tools and harvest under the direction of an adult.
- Walk on the paths, NOT the growing beds.
Respect the garden creatures
- Generally, it is best to not touch, chase or harm any garden insects or creatures. Animal visitors are usually the sign of a well-developed and active living environment.
- Report immediately any insect bites or stings to an adult.
Respect garden tools, hardware and art (shed, tables, fences etc)
- Only adults are welcome in the shed. Tools should be brought out to use and placed back in its proper place by adults only.
- Please treat this space and items as if it was your own. Say NO to Vandalizing.
- Report vandals to an adult
Snack only in areas that are marked as "Snackable"
- Snack on items under the direction of an adult.
- Please snack only in areas marked with a "Snack Sign"
- All planting in the garden should be planned and coordinated with the GSG Steering Committee or resident expert(s)
- Use either a prearranged Recipe Planting Guide OR
- Develop a planting guide with the assistance of the resident expert(s)
- All maintenance in the garden should be planned and coordinated with the GSG Steering Committee or resident expert(s)
- All maintenance needs to be in compliance with the MMSD organic gardening guidelines
- Weeding, pruning, watering, mulching etc needs to be in coordination with the GSG Steering Committee or resident expert(s)